Antananarivo Climate & Temperature
- Antananarivo, Madagascar is at 18°48'S, 47°29'E, 1276 m (4186 ft). See map.
- Antananarivo has a humid subtropical mild summer climate that is mild with dry winters, mild rainy summers and moderate seasonality. This climate is usually found in the highlands of some tropical countries. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cwb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Antananarivo is situated in or near the subtropical moist forest biome.
- The mean annual temperature is 17.9 degrees Celsius (64.3 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 6.6 °C (11.9°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype truly hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 20.8°C (69.5°F) on average falling to 9.7°C (49.5°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 25.3°C (77.6°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 12.8°C (55°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 26.4°C (79.6°F) and average low temperatures are 16.5°C (61.8°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 24.8°C (76.6°F) during the day and lows of 14.5°C (58.2°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1456.3 mm (57.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1456.3 Litres/m² (35.72 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2690 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Antananarivo you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Santa Barbara, Ca, Usa where you would find a Mediterranean climate.
Antananarivo Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Antananarivo Climate Graph in Metric Units
Antananarivo Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Antananarivo, Madagascar Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Moroni, Comoros - 911.5 kms (566.4 miles) NNW
- Mossuril, Lumbo, Mozambique - 842.1 kms (523.3 miles) WNW
- Mahajanga/ Majunga, Madagascar - 368.6 kms (229.1 miles) NNW
- Maintirano, Madagascar - 373.4 kms (232 miles) WNW
- Morondava, Madagascar - 370.6 kms (230.3 miles) WSW
- Fianarantsoa, Madagascar - 297.4 kms (184.8 miles) S
- Tulear/ Toliara, Madagascar - 641.1 kms (398.4 miles) SW
- Tolanaro, Madagascar - 695.3 kms (432.1 miles) S
- Ft. Dauphin/ Tolagna, Madagascar - 695.3 kms (432.1 miles) S
- Antsiranana, Madagascar - 743.1 kms (461.8 miles) NNE
- Nosy Be/ Fascene, Madagascar - 616.2 kms (382.9 miles) N
- Sambaba Sud, Madagascar - 577.9 kms (359.1 miles) NNE
- Analalava, Madagascar - 464.3 kms (288.5 miles) N
- Antalaha/ Antsirabat, Madagascar - 525.7 kms (326.7 miles) NE
- Tamatave/ Toamasina, Madagascar - 216 kms (134.2 miles) ENE
- Nosy-Varika, Madagascar - 225.1 kms (139.9 miles) SSE
- Saint Denis, Reunion, Reunion - 871.9 kms (541.8 miles) ESE
- Mananjary, Madagascar - 282.4 kms (175.5 miles) SSE